Most days when lunch time rolls around, I’m left wondering what the heck I’m going to eat. That turns into me driving around the college town I work in and settling on the first fast food joint that seems appealing to me at the moment. There are lots of places to choose from, but eating out all the time is not good for my wallet, or my waist line.
I’ve tried packing a lunch for myself many times before, but honestly, it always just feels like so much work. I used to pack my lunch items separately in plastic baggies, and then put them together into a small brown paper lunch bag. Well, that’s quite a waste of plastic baggies, paper bags, and my time! Not only that, but quite often when the time comes for me to eat my lunch, everything has gotten roughed up inside that small brown paper lunch bag - my sandwich is smushed and my potato chips are crushed to pieces. Not really a great lunch if you ask me.
Rubbermaid LunchBlox Sandwich Kit
The Rubbermaid LunchBlox Sandwich Kit has made packing a lunch so much easier!
What I love about the Rubbermaid LunchBlox Sandwich Kit:
- The individual containers make it really easy to quickly pack a lunch.
- No more worrying about food cross-contamination, or your lunch getting smushed!
- The containers are reusable, which saves me lots of money on plastic baggies and brown paper lunch bags.
- Blue ice is included to help keep my lunch nice and cool. The ice pack can be attached to the bottom or top of the sandwich container, and can also be attached to the smaller containers.
- Microwave, Dishwasher, and Freezer Safe
- My LunchBlox Sandwich Kit came with $5.00 in money saving coupons, and a free sample of French’s Dijon Mustard.
- I was unable to fit my sandwich completely into the sandwich container. I buy specialty bread, and it was just too big for the sandwich container. I had to cut 1/4 of my sandwich off to get the rest of it to fit inside the container. Rubbermaid claims that it will hold regular and specialty bread, but I just did not find that to be the case. In fact, I found all of the containers to be a little on the small side. I was able to fit 13 grapes and only 3 small strawberries into the smallest containers, and just a handful of potato chips in the next size up. These containers would be perfect for bite sized items, like goldfish crackers, cheerios, nuts, etc., but I found that they didn’t work too well for holding bigger items like fruit and vegetables, unless you really just want a couple of bites of each.
- I had difficulty getting the smaller containers to stay attached to the larger one. If you’re packing the Rubbermaid LunchBlox Sandwich Kit into a cooler, then I still think this system will help the containers to stay in place within the cooler, but if you plan to take the Rubbermaid LunchBlox Sandwich Kit somewhere as is, then keep an eye on your containers to make sure they don’t fall off during your travel.
Overall, I really liked the LunchBlox Sandwich Kit, but I would like to see Rubbermaid come out with one that’s a size larger. I feel that this LunchBlox Sandwich Kit will make packing a daily lunch a lot easier for me, which will save me time and money. I can have a healthy meal at lunch time, throw the containers in the dishwasher when I get home at night, and use them again the next day!
The LunchBlox Sandwich Kit is currently available for purchase at Rubbermaid.com, Target, Kmart, Kroger, Safeway, Bi-Lo, Winn-Dixie, HEB, other grocery stores and select Wal-Mart stores. The suggested retail price of the LunchBlox Sandwich Kit is $12.99, however, prices at retail may vary and are controlled by the retailer. My local Hannaford does have it priced at $12.99.
Right now you can print off a coupon to save $1.50 on your purchase of one Rubbermaid LunchBlox food storage item. Visit Rubbermaid.com and you’ll find the coupon on the left hand side of the page, about half-way down.
Click here to see the full line of LunchBlox products including the Salad and Entrée kit, great for taking salads and leftovers on the go!
Disclosure: I received the above product for free in exchange for my honest review and opinion.